Saturday, August 2, 2014

Firenze


I just got back from a wonderful two weeks in Italy with my family. I started a brand new sketchbook and nearly filled it. I didn't take very many photos, but I drew everywhere we went. My italian is much improved since the last time, and there is still so much to learn.

We spent the first week in Florence.

left: la finestra V; right: la finestra VI

Some of my favorite sculptures of all time are Michelangelo's unfinished slaves, made for the tomb of  Pope Julius II. 

statue incompiute 

left: Michelangelo's "Dawn", Medici Chapel; right: studies from the Bargello 

left: study from Pontormo's Deposizione; right: train study II

I saw some gorgeous little Macchiaioli paintings at the Pitti Palace that I had missed on my last trip. They are such beautifully perfect paintings. Telemaco Signorini is one of my favorites. 





One of the highlights for me was a series of Andrea del Sarto drawings. Above is one of three that were on display at the Uffizi.

Tomorrow's post: week 2 - Rome. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment