Sunday, August 24, 2014

Faculty Week



Last weekend I taught a grisaille workshop at White Ripple Gallery. Although grisaille is not a technique I use often in my studio practice these days, it is still one of my favorite ways to introduce newcomers to oil paint. Above are two demos I showed to the group, both raw umber on gessoed paper.


This week was faculty week, so a good portion of my time was spent in meetings, writing lesson plans, and preparing for the semester. I did have a chance to finish this little painting though!


I also obtained a copy of Vasari's Lives of the Artists this week, and have been savoring every word. Below is an excerpt from the chapter on Giotto; this is one of my favorite stories.

"The messenger... declared the purpose of the Pope and the manner in which that Pontiff desired to avail himself of his assistance, and finally requested to have a drawing that he might send it to His Holiness. Giotto, who was very courteous, took a sheet of paper, and a pencil dipped in a red color; then, resting his elbow on his side, to form a sort of compass, with one turn of the hand he drew a circle so perfect and exact that it was a marvel to behold. This done, he turned, smiling to the courtier, saying "Here is your drawing." "Am I to have nothing more than this?" inquired the latter, conceiving himself to be jested with. "That is enough and to spare," returned Giotto." (pages 7-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment