Sunday, July 12, 2015

MAR - week 2; Open Studio Night


Friday was the reception for the Master Pieces exhibit and the first Open Studio Night for us as artists in residence. It was a fantastic evening and a great way to kick off this year! I loved meeting so many new people and having great conversations about art, the gallery, and the drawing center.



In case you couldn't make it to the gallery, here is a glimpse into my studio space. I brought two recent paintings from DeKalb (see above), but everything else on the walls was made at Manifest in the past week or so.


I really want to use this next year to push my work forward, both technically and conceptually; with that in mind I plan to experiment quite a bit in the coming weeks and months. I started with some small color studies on paper to play with composition and lighting. I did these with a palette knife (instead of a brush) as a way of loosening up and breaking some of my personal "painting rules."


The Manifest Drawing Center is an amazing place. I've started attending their weekly open figure drawing sessions, in the hopes of improving my skills and (eventually) bringing the figure back into my studio work. Figure drawing is one of my favorite things to do, and it is both a privilege and a joy to be able to do it regularly. Above is one of my drawings from this week's session.


Check back next Sunday for a brand new finished painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment