Sunday, July 5, 2015

MAR - week 1

Prelude 12" x 12" oil on canvas 2015 

It's only been a week, but I already feel surprisingly at home here. My studio is set up; I've been to figure drawing at the Manifest Drawing Center twice, and I'm (slowly) starting to shake the rust that has accumulated on my figure skills from a year of disuse. I have gesso drying on newly stretched canvases, and I even finished this little baby painting yesterday. If the past week is any indication of how this residency is going to go, it will be an amazing year. 


 This week I met my fellow artist in residence, Marina Fridman. Her work is stellar and I am so excited to share this space with her. I think our work is going to grow alongside each others in very interesting ways. Be sure to check out her website here: www.marinafridman.com 


Some of my studio inspiration... these postcards have been in every studio I've kept since college. Why break tradition?


A good portion of Saturday was devoted to the usual prep work...


 ... and the first of many sketches in a brand new sketchbook. This is the view from one of the windows in my studio. All in all, not bad for the first week. =) Stay tuned - much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment