Sunday, August 7, 2016

Temporary Fix


Temporary Fix   2016   oil on canvas   30"x24"

The color of a white wall remains endlessly fascinating. Capturing the flickering evanescent glow of light is both challenging and rewarding. With this piece, I was interested in describing the sculptural quality of the baseboard - its three-dimensionality and the beautiful way it catches the light - as well as the elusive white of that wall. 

Post-its are a permanent staple in my studio and they periodically float in and out of my paintings. They are literally a "temporary fix" - a reminder temporarily affixed to the wall. Formally, they are an answer to compositional problems, a way to direct eye movement throughout a piece, and a much needed pop of color in an otherwise quiet painting. The square-within-a-square is one of my favorite compositional devices; my painted post-its put a contemporary spin on that modernist trope. 

Anything in the studio is potential subject matter, and the post-its themselves are a kind of residue, similar to the paint drips, nail holes, and accumulated dust. I save post-its; I've had some packs for more than ten years. While that is contrary to their intended function, I think there is something poetic about finding beauty and importance in something temporary and fleeting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment