Sunday, January 31, 2016

MAR - Fugitive


Fugitive  2016  oil on canvas  30" x 24"

Fugitive (adj): fleeting, elusive, nomadic

I've been thinking about blank space a lot recently. I just finished a wonderful book on Zen practice which has me considering the paradoxical illusion of emptiness. Absence and presence truly are two sides of the same coin; one cannot exist without the other and, as such, the two are inextricably and irrevocably intertwined. 

Tony Kushner wrote "the world only spins forward." Of the many excellent quotes from Angels in America, that has always been one of my favorites. I find it oddly comforting as a mantra; it's a reminder that while change is inevitable, nothing ever really ends. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, only changed from one form to another (one of the few things I remember from high school science. That, and Xeroderma pigmentosa.) Or, to quote Joni Mitchell, we are stardust.

All space is liminal. We are always between - between jobs, between relationships, between breaths. Betweenness is our reality on a daily basis. It well may be that whatever we are waiting for will never come. Perhaps the trick is learning to appreciate the between-ness for what it is. Maybe that's what people mean when they talk about the journey being more important than the destination. 

All I know for sure is this: where there is betweenness, there is always hope.

Enough babble. Back to the studio. Much love - 


2 comments:

  1. I saw your exhibit at Argonne National Labs yesterday, and I love the sentiment you express in this post. I look forward to following your creative journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words! I update this blog every Sunday; more information about upcoming exhibitons can be found on my website: samharing.com

      Delete