Sunday, December 20, 2015

MAR - Ance Mair I Hail Thee (Thou Gloomy December!)


There is always something so satisfying about stretching new canvases. I adore the whole process - from squaring the stretcher bars to adjusting the tension of the canvas to mixing the perfect ratio of water and gesso... As romantic a notion as it is, I always feel a little more connected to my art historical saints on the days when I am preparing new surfaces. 


We're at about the halfway point of this Manifest Residency. I feel like I finally have my bearings in Cincinnati, and the studio really feels like my own now. I'm trying not to worry too much about the culminating show in May. It shouldn't be too difficult to curate it from what I've made so far (plus the next five or six pieces that are taking root inside my brain). Looking forward to getting those ideas down on canvas soon!


December always calls to mind my favorite Robert Burns poem. You can listen to a lovely reading of "Thou Gloomy December" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fwifwCOr3E 
Much love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment