Sunday, October 22, 2017

Old Favorites in a New Show


Sext 
2013 
oil on canvas 
36x30" 

I dropped off this old favorite and two others at North Park University this weekend. I'm honored to have this work included in a group show curated by Tim Lowly, an artist and educator who I both respect and admire.

Named after the canonical hours, this painting (one of a series along with its companions "Prime", "Terce", and "None) is a contemplation of time, intervals, and the cyclical nature of all things. Here the life cycle of an artist's canvas is condensed to a series of painted snapshots - a handful of frozen moments captured patiently and methodically. Emptiness is an illusion.

I still dearly love the gimmick in this piece. It was such fun to paint. I won't give the trick away here - you'll have to see it in person. Keep an eye on social media for upcoming details about the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment