Sunday, March 5, 2017

Figure Drawing in the French Academic Method


Last weekend I had the privilege of studying with Peter Green at Manifest Drawing Center. The workshop was called "Figure Drawing in the French Academic Method"; it was a two-day intensive class covering everything from gesture and the envelope to rendering value. The French Method, as Peter explained, is a combination of the envelope, straight-line contour, and rendering light on form. It is a way of understanding the figure from the outside in, rather than the more Italian method of constructing the figure from the inside out.

It was an illuminating weekend. Peter is an excellent teacher, and I learned a tremendous amount that I am keen to practice and share with my own students.




Peter's demonstration at the contour drawing stage, before value...


... and the same demo, after adding both form and cast shadows (my apologies for the glare). Peter was using a variety of Conte pencils, including sanguine, brown, and black.


My drawing from the second day of the workshop... this was about a 4 hour pose. I used Wolff carbon B pencils on Strathmore drawing paper.

To see more of Peter's work, visit his website here: https://petergreenart.wordpress.com Be sure to check out his drawings from Studio Escalier; they are quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment