Sunday, November 13, 2016

Studio, November 2016

I've been meditating on two different quotes this week, the first by Theaster Gates:

"We cannot ask artists to do the work of presidents, ministers, social workers or private wealth. We can ask artists to be present and to speak truthfully from their core. This is the beginning of change."
(source: http://theartnewspaper.com/comment/comment/what-is-art-for/)

and the second by Vincent van Gogh:

"In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing."
(source: https://www.instagram.com/manifestgallery/)

Wednesday morning, I told my students that they have incredible power as artists and designers. We are culture-makers, image-creators, wizards with paintbrushes and tablet pens. Through our work we have the ability to shape the kind of world we want to see. The future is uncertain, as it ever was. Am I afraid? Yes. But I will not let that fear paralyze me. Unfortunately, my work is still relevant - it has never been more important to pay attention to our surroundings, particularly to the things that seem quiet, unimportant, or irrelevant. I will go on with my painting. This is the beginning of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment