Sunday, March 13, 2016

MAR - Strandbeests and Bedrooms


I had the unbelievable pleasure of seeing Theo Jansen's "Strandbeests" at the Chicago Cultural Center earlier this week. I've been a fan of his for years - since high school actually - and I never thought I'd get the chance to see his work in person. They are breathtakingly beautiful and deeply profound. 



Afterwards I spent some time at the Van Gogh exhibition at the Art Institute, which is every bit as good as you'd expect. I had seen two of the bedroom paintings before: the one in the Art Institute's collection and the one in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. However, I haven't been to Paris yet, and so the third and final version was new to me.

Somehow, even with as much as I have studied about Vincent, there are always paintings I've never seen before. Below are two of my new favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment