Sunday, May 25, 2014

Crossing Over to the Digital Dark Side


I've been experimenting with digital drawing and painting recently. With a tremendous amount of help from my significantly more tech-savvy friends, I've thus far managed to not set my computer on fire. This is by far one of the most challenging art forms I have ever tried, and I have to admit that it's fairly addicting. Here are a few recent sketches and studies from the past few weeks: 

...a selection of 2 minute figure gestures:


...a color study of Robert Dukes' "Bright Orange", 2011: (btw, there's a great interview with Dukes on the painting perceptions blog. You can check it out here: http://paintingperceptions.com/interviews/interview-with-robert-dukes) My favorite line: "I get excited looking at things and it makes me want to paint them." 



...and the beginnings of a digital sketch for a potential oil painting. I am intrigued by the idea of digital painting as another step in my preparation for a physical painting. Working on a tablet feels more like drawing than painting (at least, it does with the brush settings I am currently playing with), and it lets me test out colors, marks, and compositions quickly and cheaply. More to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment